Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Figs Breakfast & Lunch - Basic Breakfast Place

344 Queen Street E. Unit 4
Toronto, ON M5A 1S8

(416) 913-7205
www.figsbreakfastlunch.com


First impression: Local, home-cooking type breakfast place
Second impression: Ok taste wise, but why so little potatoes?!

Last weekend I had to pick up something downtown in the east end so we decided to have brunch in a part of town we do not frequent often. Thanks to Yelp, we found Figs Breakfast & Lunch.

It definitely had that local vibe to it and luckily there were still a few tables available. Menu selection was pretty good and they offered a special Meat Lover's plate for $9.99.

Main
House Omelette - $9
Swiss cheese, peameal bacon, and mushrooms (mmmm, mushrooms!)


Comes with toast, potato hash and a bit of roasted potato. The omelette tasted great but I was surprised at how little potato was served. I'm quite accustomed to breakfast places serving a decent amount or huge amount of potatoes but this was new for me. However, if you're concerned in any way about carbohydrate intake, then this would be the perfect amount! For me, I was full so I really shouldn't complain...I guess I was just surprised and my preference would be more potatoes and only 1 slice of toast.

No decaf coffee available, ended up having earl grey tea. Basic Twinnings tea but I do like the little stainless steel tea pot you get at places like this.


Unfortunately no pics of the meat lover's plate. It consisted of different kinds of breakfast meats (sausage, ham, peameal bacon, bacon), choice of eggs, toast, baked beans and the same potato sides. One thing to be aware of though, you only get 1 piece of each meat which also is surprising but once you're done eating, the amount is okay for the price.

Would I come back? I would...if I was in the area. But, since I'm rarely in the area, I don't think I'll be back any time soon. There are a few breakfast places near my place that I think are the same or better.  Breakfast places like Figs should be that place that a local resident would say "hey, let's walk over to Figs, I have a craving for their (fill in the blank)".


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I've walked by this place many times but never went in. If you are ever back in the area and are looking for a brunch place without a line up, try the duck hash at Hammersmith's up on Gerrard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind..... it closed down. Figs it is!!

    ReplyDelete