Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

August: I'm Dreaming of...



Peach season is upon us and Ontario has got some of the best!!  So of course I'm dreaming of ... peaches this month!

peaches: my favourite are actually white peaches, the taste is a lighter kind of sweetness, some might say more "floral" and usually they are a little less fibrous...but peaches of all kinds are delicious...and of course Ontario peaches are so sweet and juicy!

For the past few months I've been dreaming about ice cream...I still am, but when I think of August I also think of very hot and humid days. And these hot and humid days call for ice.  Yes, ice.

- shaved ice desserts!

Several years ago I was in southern Taiwan in the middle of summer.  Hot and humid were understatements.  Sweat poured from every pore in my body.  I drank 1.5L of water in under 2 hrs while walking outdoors and did not have to use a bathroom for many, many hours later!  When the walking was done, we found a local dessert place that was packed with other patrons taking shelter from the heat.  A few minutes later, sweet relief had come...a large plate of cold shaved/crushed ice with 8 toppings, called eight treasure (shaved/crushed) ice 八寶刨冰 appeared...ahhhh.

I'm dreaming particularly of Taiwanese style shaved ice with either a mix of toppings to include tapioca bubbles and grass jelly or just fruit or shaved green tea ice with red beans...old standby Ten Ren's Tea Time or the lesser known Cha Me Cha?  I've also read that there is also a Korean version?  May have to check that out!

- Italian gelato and ices...I saw a book in the library that had some lovely recipes...didn't borrow it at the time as I had a few other books on loan and wasn't sure I'd have the time...maybe I'll borrow it or maybe I'll be lazy and enjoy it at one of the many in the city ^-^


Clearly my mind is only on food this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment