Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Book Review: The Seed Underground

The Seed Underground
A growing revolution to save food.

Author:  Janisse Ray

Interesting and thought provoking.  Ray really shows her passion for seed saving and pushing forward the local and organic food movement in this book.  (Book cover and other reviews here.)

Why did I choose to read this book?  I'm not a gardener and I don't save seeds.  Although I have grown cherry tomatoes and strawberries in the past, it never became a passion.  I think I like the idea of growing things but for me, the time is not right.  So, why?  What probably interested me most about the book was learning about the many varieties of food, thus in turn making me want to eat and cook with them.  (But I also think I was in need of some brain food too...most of the other books I've read of late are baby bedtime stories on repetition, lol!)

In this book, Ray helps us to understand the importance of seed saving and sustainable cultivation practices.  The book was very informative as she speaks with many different individuals, gives us a run down of plant breeding, and adds her own personal goals and metaphors into the mix.  She is an activist though, so you'll read lots on how local and organic are good and genetically modified (GM) and large agricultural/biotech companies are "bad".  The open-source seeds discussion was quite interesting to read and how in Canada there was an example court case of farmer vs biotech company where genetic drift resulted in a biotech company suing a farmer in the prairies.

Some of the things mentioned like seed bombs I have heard of (luckily I have a friend that inspires and has contributed to the seed saving movement in Toronto, read here), so it's definitely interesting to see it in a book too.


Highlights:  Parts I really liked...

  • Seeds as a cultural resource was an interesting way to think about seeds.  Through many quotes and examples, Ray emphasizes this point.
Quotes:
"An heirloom variety of seed, besides being a genetic resource, has another quality.  It is a cultural resource.  It has a story.  The story changes as time passes."  (p.71)

"Seeds are multipronged.  They have so many pouches, full of stories.  A seed is a city full of avenues, a forest traversed by trails."  (p.72)

John Swenson: " 'All these stories, these recipes -- that's what matters.  Take garlic.  Genetically there are maybe thirty genotypes.  But you have hundreds of names floating around.' ... 'Each name has a story.  Each story has a purpose.  We're supporting the preservation of human culture.' " (p.73)

  • Sweet potatoes and the process of saving the tubers that eventually sprout (sprouts are called "slips") which serve as the seed was interesting.  I was also reading this section when I started noticing and buying more varietals of sweet potatoes.  Ginseng Red (creamy, not too starchy, and sweet) and Red Gold sweet potatoes are mentioned.
  • Notion of growing crops adapted for the area
  • Discussion on public universities and private companies breeding new varieties.  Public universities developing new varieties, selling it to corporations that in turn sell back to the public.
  • Annual Seed Savers Exchange in Iowa - interesting plants mentioned, keynote speakers highlighted.

E.g. "fantastical allium...the plant looked like a four-story onion, rib-high." (p.102) -- walking onion, Egyptian onions, top-setting or tree onion.


Not so fond of...

  • Sometimes there's a feeling that some judgement is being made.  I.e. you were bad if you enjoyed what large corporations offered
Most people are passionate about something and people support all different types of causes but people cannot be passionate about ALL things.  Sometimes economic status, location, and a multitude of other personal factors may put seed saving, buying local and organic at the bottom of the totem pole.


Overall, I did enjoy the book and would recommend it to foodies.  A lot can be learned and I think I'm more inclined to support local and organic.  Ultimately, I do think the book inspires some change; small or large, anyone who reads this book is going to think more about local/organic/seed saving and be inclined to do something different.  I've definitely ate more local foods but it's been easier this past summer; winters will definitely pose a challenge.

And one final quote from one of Ray's interviewees Sylvia Dawatz:
"The logical next step for the local-food movement is to establish locally grown seeds."


No comments:

Post a Comment