Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Best Dumplings (and Maybe Xiao Long Baos) in Toronto!

Northern Dumpling Kitchen
550 Hwy 7 E. Unit 52A (Times Square)
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3Z4
T:  905-881-3818

Xiao Long Bao (XLB)
This has been my favourite dumpling restaurant in Toronto (well, actually in the GTA) for a number of years. And I have to say, they serve the best northern style steamed dumplings in Toronto!  I went a few times before the new year and realized I've never blogged about this place.

Xiao Long Baos (XLB) or soup filled dumplings are very popular, mainly because of the popularity of Din Tai Fung, an international restaurant originating from Taiwan.  Ding Tai Fung (DTF) a restaurant in Toronto (not an official location of Din Tai Fung) was where I had my first taste of xiao long baos and I remember it was soooo good and loved it!  But, when I started going to Northern Dumpling Kitchen I was even more enthralled.  Their XLBs were better in flavour and the skin was super thin too.  But, DTF on some occasions have packed in more soup.  Although I still love eating XLBs, Northern Dumpling Kitchen's dill (restaurant labels it as fennel) and pork steamed dumplings have become my new favourite.  The dill just adds a nice flavour to the dumplings and each one also is juicy with a bit of "soup".  The skin is also very thin.  Best of all, the price is awesome for a basket of ten!!

Inside the XLB

Pork and dill (fennel on the menu) steamed dumplings

Inside the pork and dill dumpling

No where else can you find the quality at such a reasonable price!

Other dishes that I've had include their beef and onion roll, dan dan noodles, cumin lamb skewers, gong bo chicken, a variety of vegetable dishes, and a number of other noodle dishes.  All were okay in both taste and price.  One note, if you're familiar with dan dan noodles from DTF, this version is different.  Northern makes it with a little more chili and very little sesame paste.

I definitely recommend!!

Interior:  There are booths along the window and only 2 round tables for groups of 6-8. 


No comments:

Post a Comment