Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Dessert Week 2 :: Almond Cake and Ruby Black Tea


One of my goals for this year is to bake regularly (but I'm a little late posting) so I decided to make this Almond Cake from the book Pure Dessert by Alice Medrich.  Because I have limited time and my focus is sometimes split, I wanted something quick and included ingredients I had already.

The recipe calls for an 8"x 2" cake pan but I had 9" pans or a 7" springform pan so I reduced the recipe by a third and used the 7" pan.

Definitely easy!  All ingredients went into the food processor and in 10 mins I had batter, the hardest part was making the conversions.

Results....

Super moist, good almond flavour (despite not using almond extract which was part of the recipe) and great with tea!  I think I might scale the sugar down a bit as I don't like my desserts too sweet but if I'm making it for others, it would be well received.  Overall, a great little dessert to whip up for afternoon tea.

L: The middle seemed like it erupted, R: After sprinkling with icing sugar



Paired with a Taiwanese black tea called Ruby Black that I had received several years ago as a sample.  Surprisingly, the sample was still fresh! Ruby black tea (or Taiwan tea no. 18) is actually a tea cultivar that was developed in Taiwan by cultivating a Taiwan wild black tea with an Assam cultivar from Myanmar.  Strong notes of cinnamon can be found upon first sip, followed by a sweet, malty aftertaste.  Also, I think there were hints of dried fruit.  It might not be for everyone but I thought it really went nicely with the almond flavour and the light astringency also balanced out the sweetness of the cake.  Pairing with green tea could also be nice.

L: Dry Taiwan Ruby Black Tea leaves, Middle: Infused tea leaves, R: Taiwan Ruby Black Tea
I would definitely make again and would probably experiment with different pan sizes and serve with a fruit compote or fresh fruits.




No comments:

Post a Comment