Pages

Monday, January 11, 2016

Soma Chocolate Maker - Exceptionally Good Chocolates!


This post is long overdue, but I really wanted to post about them.  Soma Chocolates had recently won several International Chocolate awards (in late 2015) so I was curious as to how the they tasted.

Taken directly from their facebook page, here are their winning chocolates:

PORCELANA BAR
Gold world- dark chocolate...
Gold world- directly traded
Gold world- chocolate maker


CSB CHAMA BAR
Silver world- dark chocolate
Gold Americas- best in show chocolate maker
Gold Americas- dark chocolate

STRATUS BAR- made with lees from our friends at Stratus Vineyards
Silver world- flavoured bar
Silver Americas- flavoured bar

PEACH MAGNOLIA TRUFFLE
Silver world- dark truffle
Gold Canada- dark truffle

THAI COCONUT TRUFFLE
Silver world- dark truffle
Silver Canada- dark/milk truffle


I picked up the CSB Chama Bar as I didn't see the Porcelana Bar.

I also picked up their 12 layer jawbreaker which was nice because it was symbolic of their 12 years in business.

And, some bars for gifting to my friends.

And, some truffles to try with my family.


So, not a huge haul but this definitely put a dent in my wallet!  I started with the truffles - got the Stratus (seasonal), fig (seasonal), Papua New Guinea, Venezuela, hazelnut, and jasmine.

I loved the Papua New Guinea truffle!!  It was quite unique, loved the notes of berry and light smokiness.  Would definitely get this one over and over again.  One of the bars I purchased for my friends was the Papua New Guinea Black Science collection and she also really liked it.

我很喜歡他們的巴布亞新幾内亞巧克力!  非常棒!  味道很特別.

As for the other truffles, the fig and balsamic was quite good.  The stratus was interesting but not really my thing. Hazelnut and jasmine were nice but I think I definitely prefer the straight single origin chocolate truffles over the flavoured ones.

Upon first tasting the CSB Chama Bar, I was a little disappointed.  The taste was really subtle and was not the 70% cocoa I was expecting.  It was a lot milder.  But, the second time I broke off a few pieces, the flavours started to come out more.  Maybe the day I first tried it, I was getting over a cold and that really affected my tasting ability.  It's still subtle but a lot more interesting.  I'm not much of a connoisseur on chocolate so I can't comment on the finer details, but I did like it after my second try.  Just not as good as the Papua New Guinea one.

Soma Chocolate Makers have won me over!  They are on the pricier side but not unlike other specialty chocolate makers in Toronto. They do have quite a bit of information about their chocolates available to the consumer which I think is good as more and more people are looking for that extra something.  If I need a quality gift for someone who enjoys food and chocolate as much as I, this would definitely be one of my choices.




I visited the King St. W. location (the Distillery location was packed due to the Christmas market).  Service was nice and helpful.  

Next on my list is to try the gelato and the hot chocolate or Bicerin (a Turin, Italy speciality), but it'll likely be one of the hot drinks first!  (It's been quite cold these days!)


Soma Chocolatemaker
443 King St. W. 
Toronto, ON M5V 1K4
416-599-7662
http://www.somachocolate.com/



2 comments:

  1. The JAWBREAKER!!! So cool. I never thought of SOMA as being a chocolate shop that did any kind of interesting/innovative chocolate work. Next time I'm in the area, I'll definitely have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you're nearby or at the distillery it's worth a look! The chocolate work they do focuses more on nature...I wanted to get their birch branch but opted for the truffles instead. Seems to me that they promote the unique cocoa beans from different regions more than creating elaborate works of chocolate.

      Delete