Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Sanchenping High Mountain Spring Oolong


From Taiwan Tea Crafts, I got a sample of their winter and spring oolong from Sanchenping as part of their Shanlinxi exploration tin and tried it a little while ago.  Pictured is the spring 2016 oolong, a lovely green.  

I preferred this over the winter oolong.

Beautiful leaves after steeping.


The tea soup.  


I brewed this at 5g/100ml using just off the boil water.

1st steep (1 minute): buttery aroma and taste, also very floral
2nd steep: still very floral and I thought there was some notes of melon
3rd steep: more vegetal tasting
4th and 5th steep: mmm, sweet aftertaste (huigan) which was very nice, moderately thick.  I actually used slightly cooler water than earlier steeps and brewed longer by 20 secs.

I read that although oolongs can be steeped using boiling water, high mountain oolongs may taste better with lower temperature water.  The author commented that sometimes high mountain oolongs taste great when tasting in the mountains on the tea farm because when water boils at a higher elevation, it's actually about 95 degrees Celcius and not 100.  I tend to agree that when I use slightly lower temperature water than boiling for oolongs, there is much more flavours that comes out...my experience anyway.

Quite enjoyed this one as a few that I've had recently were just okay.  However, I'm not sure how many more steeps there would be as I didn't have time after the fifth one.



No comments:

Post a Comment