Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

Mel Lastman Square Farmer's Market 2014 - the Start of the Season

Yesterday was the first day of the Mel Lastman Square Farmer's Market and despite it being cooler than the past few days, there was still a good crowd.

Many of the other markets within the city have already started, each with a slightly different mix of stalls (see Atebyate's recent post).  Here, you'll find several fruit and vegetable farms, local artisanal cheese, honey, natural soaps, a few stalls selling hot food/ baked goods, and an herb and tomato plant stall where I wanted to buy more than I could carry!


My first experience with rhubarb was in sixth grade.  My class went to an outdoor education centre and stayed the week.  Meals were provided and one night we had rhubarb and strawberry pie.  It was probably the only dish that I have a strong recollection of, it was definitely good!  I had never heard of rhubarb at the time but ever since then, whenever I hear someone mention or see rhubarb strawberry pie, I instantly think, "Mmmm"!  But, that was the only way I knew of using rhubarb and surprisingly never tried to make it myself.  So, naturally I had to buy a stalk!

Here are some pics of the Thiessen Farms herb and tomato plant stall...

A huge variety available!
One herb that I have to mention is the chocolate mint herb that was there.  Unfortunately it doesn't taste much like chocolate mint but the leaves do smell like chocolate mint so it'll be a nice garnish or infused as a tea drink.

Really, really tempted to buy these spicy micro-greens but I have to think about how I would use/eat them first...


I bought 2 heirloom cherry tomato plants.  Hopefully they'll last the season since anyone that knows me knows I don't have a green thumb and would probably kill a cactus.  But, I couldn't resist, they were heirloom cherry tomato plants!


Mel Lastman Square Farmer's Market
Every Thursday 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
June - Oct


No comments:

Post a Comment