Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Oat Scones & Preserved Figs

 
I haven't been baking much due to the flu but here are some oat scones I baked up before I got sick so I could ONE, use some oat flour and TWO, so I could try the fig preserve I made last year.
 


The fig preserve turned out to be pretty good, recipe from here.  Whole chunks of fig slathered on the scones complimented the oats and eased the slight dryness of the scones.  Preserving fruits or making jam to eat with warm homemade scones was something I've wanted to do ever since I wondered about a pineapple and red peppercorn preserve I saw in a movie (one of my favorites I might add) and I quite like the feeling!  Popping open the jar and scooping out the figs was like a little present to myself.  I had put away a little bit of last year to enjoy this year. 


I recently had a conversation on what fruit we would grow if we could grow any type without much work.  Because I could never just say one, persimmons, lemons, and avocados are at the top of my list.  I think I'll add figs too.  After a quick google, you can actually grow figs in Toronto.  Read here.  No growing stuff for us though, lack of space and passion for it but for those that have the space, consider figs (hint, hint to my friend with the new backyard!).  Imagine the desserts and salads that could be made with fresh figs!

2 comments: