Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Dessert Week 10 :: Recipe testing - Double oat banana muffins & Chrysanthemum tea jelly

L:Double oat mini banana muffin, R:Chrysanthemum tea jelly with strawberries
I've been experimenting...

I made double oat mini banana muffins of the low sugar variety so my little one could have some too.  Needless to say, it didn't go over well with adults.  Because I'm trying different things with oat flour, I made my muffins using oat flakes and a bit of oat flour.  I used sweetened yogurt and bananas to add sweetness and moisture.  It wasn't too bad and the ratio of 1 cup oats, 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup oat flour made a nice textured product - but, I'm still working on the recipe.

Because Chinese New Year Celebration or Spring festival ended last week (it lasts 15 days), I also made chrysanthemum tea jelly.  I've made it with agar before but decided to use gelatine this time around simply because it would take less time to make.  Flavour was great, but I had most of it in flower moulds (flowers are auspicious during Chinese New Year) and they did not come out of the moulds well (sad!).  So, I'll be refining that recipe too. If you're looking to buy dried chrysanthemum flowers, the one I used is packaged in a canister and was purchased at Pacific Mall, one of the dried herbal-stuff stores.  I've used the larger flowers found at supermarkets but like this one much more(plus, they're prettier, lol!).

Dried Chrysanthemum Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment