Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Very Relaxing HK Style Bakery in Downtown - Lucullus Bakery (Elm St.)



Lucullus Bakery (downtown)
31 Elm St, Toronto, ON M5G 1H7
T: 416-792-1886
http://www.lucullusbakery.com/

I love picking up a few HK style buns for a snack or egg tarts when I have a sweet craving.  But, working downtown leaves you with very little options...until you hear about Lucullus Bakery on Elm St. between Bay and Yonge.  I actually was looking for a cafe for a little something for the 3pm teatime cravings and came upon some Lucullus reviews.  I'm familiar with the bakery from Richmond Hill and Markham and have only had their cakes but when I saw they were located near my work, I was out the door!

I actually didn't read many reviews so I didn't expect to see a really nice exterior to the bakery.  It was very charming, European like details, and did not have the their typical signage you see in Richmond Hill/Markham.  The place is big and spacious with 2 floors (I didn't actually go to the second floor though).  I ordered a milk tea (which was my original intention for the trip), an egg tart and a bun.  The drinks were all very reasonably priced and the buns slightly more expensive than other locations but inexpensive for downtown.  Most buns are $1.35-$1.55 which is decent.

If you've been to HK style bakeries in Chinatown or the suburbs, they all have the same kind of characteristic.  Low on decor and a lot of time they‘re competing with each other on the price.  Most may offer other foods like rice dishes to get additional customers and turnover is quick.  Here, the feeling is a little different, I can see myself lingering.

Left: Walnut, raisin, coconut bun; Right: Egg tart
HK Style Milk Tea (Hot)

I liked it.  I wasn't wowed, but there were certain moments I thought I could pick out the flavour of a certain tea in their blend, which is saying a lot about the quality.  HK milk tea is usually a blend of different teas, usually ceylon and assam in varying poportions.  On the cup, they list 6 different kinds of tea leaves to make up their signature milk tea!  I'm surprised that there is green tea in the mix too! 

Sometimes HK milk tea is made too astringent (producing that dry feeling in the mouth) that no amount of evaporated milk will tame it while others are too weak in flavour. This one is moderate in astringency and the tea flavour does come out nicely.  It lacks a little on the "fragrant" part though.

As much as I love Taiwanese teas, a HK style milk tea is what I sometimes crave and Lucullus will probably be my go-to spot when those moments happen when I'm at work.


Flaky Egg Tart

It was just average for me.  The crust tasted traditionally made but was a little too thick and heavy for my preference.  The egg custard was creamy, not as wobbly as I'd like it though. 


Walnut, Raisin, and Coconut Bun

This filling combination is what caught my eye.  It's not often you see walnut so I wanted to try it out.  A very good sweet bun; lots of filling, bread is light, and the filling is not artificially coloured like other coconut buns.  The walnut taste is only very light so I would have liked more.  The sweetness of the bun is not that high which is good if you don't like things too sweet but bad if you're accustomed to the sweetness level of western desserts/pastries/sweet buns.  Overall, a good bun and I would buy again.


I really wanted to try the black sesame and walnut sticky ball or green tea and red bean sticky ball, but they were sold out.  (They also had a mango one too which was also sold out.)  In hind sight I should have asked if they had any more.  Oh well, another reason for me to come back, lol!  There was also a red bean sticky ball that was still available, the outer wrapping is made using tapioca (or sago) which would give it a nice texture, but I wasn't feeling like just red bean.

I'd definitely come back to try the meals, other buns, the sticky balls, other teas...maybe their entire menu!  Well, actually I'm unlikely going to try their breakfast entrees since I won't be in the area on weekends but I can see myself stopping by more often.
 
The service is also really nice and polite. The ambience created with the cafe music, lots of seating, and friendly service make it a great place to relax, chat, and/or have a little treat.
1st Level Seating Area
Their branded coffee beans...interesting...
 
Food options...they note NO MSG
No more sticky balls...

No comments:

Post a Comment