Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Ten Ren's Tea Time Meals

Osmanthus Steamed Fish

In the past couple of months, I was at Ten Ren's Tea Time (Times Ave. location) multiple times for birthdays and gatherings.  Simply because it's spacious, accommodates families and young children (a.k.a. has high chairs and a baby changing station), and we could leisurely enjoy our meal and drinks.  And, I suppose it's because my friends and I also like bubble tea.

Although I posted about Ten Ren's before and how sometimes they might be considered "pricey" for the food, I was thoroughly impressed by the above dish so I knew I had to post about it.  It's a steamed fish dish that I ordered as part of the rice combo (but is available separately). 

Why?

Well, it just seemed so healthy and flavourful!  The fish fillet was thick (possibly basa) and to my surprise, tofu was layered underneath.  The tofu actually soaked up the juices and provided an extra element of texture and taste.  Besides the surprise tofu, the capers (or at least I think they were capers) added a nice briny taste to the fish without being overpowering.  It really elevated the sweetness of the fish and the saltiness of the seasoning in the dish.  I think this might be a dish I'll order regularly, I definitely recommend!

Layer of tofu at the bottom and the round olive coloured balls were what I think were capers.
And, a quick note on the drinks.  As I've mentioned before, the tea drinks here are stellar.  Here is a apple high mountain oolong drink, upsized to large.  Besides the taste, I wanted to highlight the amount of froth that is generated and noticeable at the top of the drink.  This is one of the few places that shakes the tea drink enough to produce such a volume of froth.  Heavily shaking the drink is supposed to aerate the drink to allow the flavours to mellow and combine, kinda like a cocktail that uses fruit juices.


Here are some pics of other items I had:

Salt and pepper crispy chicken, surprisingly they changed the batter which I wasn't as fond of... :(

Chicken cutlet noodle
I only can comment on the food at the Times Ave. location but have been meaning to try the new renovated Empress Walk location...definitely wonder how the quality stacks up.  But, sadly the steamed fish does not look like it's available at Empress Walk.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment