Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Edible Garland Chrysanthemum Greens - A new favourite


I have fallen for these edible chrysanthemum greens called (小葉)茼蒿 'Chun Ho' (or 'Tung Ho'/Tong Ho or many other names) and love adding it to various meals.  The chrysanthemum greens are grown in East Asia and is quite nutritious, high in vitamin A and K and a source of numerous minerals.  I was reminded of this leafy green when we ate at Mama Bear and had the oyster omelette.  It's taste is on the herbaceous/herbal side with a little bit of mintiness to it.  Unfortunately I've only seen it at Chinese supermarkets as it hasn't made it's way to the mainstream market. This is not a vegetable that I grew up eating, but I decided to make a concerted effort to broaden the variety of vegetables my family and I eat after reading about Ikaria and all the greens that the locals forage for salads in this book.  Hopefully it'll be a vegetable my family continues to eat regularly.

I've added it to soups which make it sweet and flavourful and a barley and sweet potato mix.  But I'm sharing with you a favourite breakfast of mine.  So simple and really perks up the meal!
加在湯裡會給湯一點甜味, 同大賣和地瓜拌在一起也很好.  可是, 我今天告訴你們我很希歡的早餐.  很容易也鮮爽的感覺!


Avocado Toast with Chrysanthemum Greens
(Serves 2)

1 Avocado
Juice from 1/6 to 1/4 of a Lemon
2 generous pinches of salt
Bread of your choice 
Sprinkling of Shichimi Seasoning (Japanese 7 spice seasoning)
1 stalk chopped Chrysanthemum greens

Mash the avocado (I like to leave some chunks)
Squeeze in the lemon juice and sprinkle in the salt.
Mix.
Spread mixture on bread (I like to toast mine)
Sprinkle on shichimi seasoning (to your liking) and chopped chrysanthemum greens.  

Enjoy!


Why the occasional duplicate sentence written in Chinese?  
One of my goals starting in 2016 is to improve my Chinese language skills so this is one way I'm going about it.  
Please comment if you noticed I've totally messed up!  Thanks!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you wrote about this! I noticed a bag of those greens at T&T today, and wouldn't have normally taken a second look, only this time I did and knew what they were thanks to you. I snuck a sample, but couldn't really discern any mint; mostly just tasted like a leaf. More recipes for chrysanthemum greens, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you noticed it :) Hmmm, I'm wondering if mint is not really the word to use...but I think the flavour is stronger when you cook it briefly.

      Delete