Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Mama Bear Taiwanese Cuisine - Tastes and Smells of Taiwan

Salty Crispy Chicken aka Popcorn Chicken

I finally got to try Mama Bear Taiwanese Cuisine about a week ago.  Mama Bear first became popular through their sticky tofu sold at the night market festivals that happen every summer and over a year ago they opened this restaurant. It's been on my list of places to-go for ages, but has always been packed.   I think part of me had high expectations that I was also scared to be disappointed if I went.  But, we went for lunch one weekday and I wasn't disappointed.

We ordered quite a bit to my surprise.

I have to say, most items were decent.  They weren't amazing, but you can definitely get a taste of Taiwan here. 

The beef noodle (non-spicy) for the large was a big bowl and it was good.  It's not my favourite in the city, but still very good and I'd get this again. 



The "popcorn" chicken was probably the best item we tried and portion was in line with the price.  Oyster omelette was yummy and instead of lettuce that is common at night markets they used tung ho/tong ho (茼蒿) vegetables (also known as Garland Chrysanthemum which I had to look up).  Apparently some places in Taiwan use it to make oyster omelette and I think it was a really nice addition.  However, I think I would love more egg and less tapioca starch in the omelette. 

Oyster omelette

The minced pork on rice was good, could be fattier in my opinion but it did contain pork belly and wasn't dry like other places.



The "shui jian bao" or pan fried buns were freshly made and tasted pretty good as well, but I'm still debating on whether the price is worth it with this dish.





Space is actually larger than I expected and there were quite a number of booths and tables. Didn't seem cramped which is nice.  Service was good, no complaints.

 
 
If you're looking for some good Taiwanese food, this definitely is a good option.  They also had set meals where there is a main item and 3 side dishes which I think would be a great option, but we wanted to try a number of different things.  Desserts like shaved ice and some traditional drinks like Aiyu in lemon juice are available and round out the experience; we just didn't have space for these extras.  Oh, also important to note, as we were leaving, the smell of sticky tofu started to permeate the air so you are now warned that you may experience this if there are orders for sticky tofu!
 
 
Mama Bear Taiwanese Cuisine
 324 Hwy 7 E #7
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1A6
T: (905) 597-7770
High chair and baby changing table available.
 

8 comments:

  1. Gosh, I just love Taiwanese food and I couldn't help drooling at the photos. I must try this place next time I'm back. Curious to know though what is your favourite Taiwanese restaurant in Toronto is?

    How much were the buns? Food in general is quite ridiculously expensive in Sydney so I'm thinking that those buns can't be THAT expensive...?

    One thing I miss is F's mom's popcorn chicken. She used to make it fresh at home and then I'd dip it in the salt/pepper mixture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, not sure if I have a favourite because most of the time it's bubbletea places that serve up Taiwanese food. But, my favourite beef noodle place is Beef Noodle Restaurant in Scarborough and their 3 cup chicken is pretty good too. I like Ten Ren's on Hwy 7/Times Ave for some dishes. Wiki Star does a pretty good oyster omelette too.

    The buns were $7.99 for 5, so not ridiculous...I guess I have a bit of "it's so much cheaper in Taiwan" mentality, lol!

    Sounds like F's mom's popcorn chicken beats any place outside! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was not an oyster omelette fan until recently. The first time I had it in Taiwan, it was so gloppy and the oysters seemed off. :(

      Yeah, I think her popcorn chicken is pretty darn good. :)

      Delete
    2. I totally know what you mean about the oyster omelette! The first time I had it I was let-down by the experience...only when the tapioca was more chewy and the oysters were fresh did I start liking it.

      Delete
  3. I want to eat all those pictures NOW. Sounds like a good option to bring a family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes :) Pretty good for families, definitely recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is papa chang better tasting tan this place?

    http://confessionsofatorontofoodie.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been to Papa Chang's once several years ago and it wasn't as good. We had the beef noodle there and Mama Bear's was definitely better. I haven't been to the express Papa Chang's at Pacific Mall yet.

      Delete