Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Dessert Week 9 :: Oat Flour Sponge Cake


Mmmm, she was right...the oat flour gives off a nice hint of butterscotch flavour!

From the book Flavor Flours by Alice Medrich, I made an oat flour sponge cake.  Right out of the oven, I had a bite and it was very good!  Just oat flour, sugar, a bit of salt, eggs, and clarified butter, this sponge cake wasn't too difficult to make.  I think the most time consuming part was making the clarified butter.  She suggests ghee can be used and I think next time I'll just get a jar to save me time.

I lightly whipped up some cream and paired it with strawberries, this became a nice light dessert!  The cake is a little more crumbly than your traditional sponge cake and although it can be eaten alone, I found whipped cream made it better.  Preserved fruits would also up the experience as well.  Looking forward to making other things with oat flour and repeating this recipe too!

My 2nd attempt at decorating the cake
Since the oat flour is the only flour used, it can be considered gluten free.  However, cross-contamination in processing the flour may make it intolerant to those with gluten allergies.  I purchased my bag of oat flour from Grain Process Enterprises Ltd in Scarborough (see pic below for address) and had to buy a 10 kg bag!  They have a retail store that sells some items in small pack sizes but the oat flour is only sold in the larger size.  They actually carry a large assortment of different grains like kamut, spelt, red fife flour and many, many organic products too!  Open Mon to Fri, but once a month they are open on a Sat from 8:30am to 1pm.  March 7th will be their next open date on Saturday (see pic below).  If you can't make it here, other locations to find oat flour include some bulk barn stores and the bulk store at Sheppard Centre at Yonge and Sheppard.
 
My 10 kg bag cost under $20
Saturday Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment