Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

New Northern Dumpling - Go for the Lamb Skewers

Lamb skewers: there were 5 to start but I forgot to take my camera out!
New Northern Dumpling
633 Silver Star Boulevard Unit 120
Toronto, ON M1V 5N1
(416) 321-2289

As the summer begins, I think about the Asian night markets that open for a weekend in July.  Mainly because of the huge variety of snack foods and I always get lamb skewers.  But, the line ups and crowds definitely make it hard when you're toting a baby along.  So in comes New Northern Dumpling.  Their lamb skewers are yummy and so worth the price ($5.99 for 5)!  I know that it's supposed to be a dumpling place but the lamb skewers out shone the dumplings in my opinion.  Light cumin flavour and more spicy than other Northern Chinese restaurants.  Although the restaurant name highlights dumplings, they actually have a huge menu that includes many items that are not dumplings.



We ordered a pork and fennel (dill actually) dumpling that came 15 per basket. A definite value and the taste was pretty good. The filling was nicely seasoned and you can taste the dill. But, the wrapper was a bit too thick and hardened too quickly. That would be where I took points off.

We also got the soup filled ones but they were too small that there wasn't much soup, came 8 per basket. I think whatever amount of soup there was, it got absorbed by the skin.

Pork and fennel (dill) steamed dumplings

Juicy!

Soup dumplings: Too small
We also ordered a vegetable noodle dish which turned out to be a very big bowl of noodles.  It was different since there was cucumbers in the soup which I didn't expect to see.  The noodles had a nice chew to it and we quite enjoyed it.
 
Vegetables Noodles
Service was nice, nothing to complain about but English is limited.  For those that don't speak Mandarin, the menu contains pictures for most of their items and as you can see above, ordering is done by marking the menu.

We quite enjoyed our meal and I think we would return for the lamb skewers and to try some of their other dishes.  Based on the pork and fennel dumpling I would say this place is decent for dumplings, but Northern Dumpling Kitchen is still my favourite dumpling restaurant in the GTA.
 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment