Pages

Monday, July 13, 2015

Don't Throw Away Those Seeds! (Jackfruit Seeds)


Boiled jackfruit seeds (with skin still on)

We don't grow tropical fruits in Toronto but are lucky to import quite a selection.  Jackfruit is one such fruit and my brother-in-law picked one up from a Chinese supermarket to share.  This was a massive thing, 20 lbs!  And it wasn't even the biggest!  Anyway, I've had canned and fresh jackfruit so I was happy to partake in this feast.  But what made me happier was to find out you could eat the seeds!  Yes, I kept repeating, "How interesting!"

Cross-section of jackfruit
 It's very common for people to eat pumpkin seeds and other types of seeds but if I were to cut a jackfruit open, I'd never consider eating the seeds.  

What do the seeds taste like? First thought, chestnuts! They're not exactly like chestnuts but the taste resembles chestnut but a little less sweet. Others' like Serious Eats have noted they taste like lotus seeds.  But you can't just eat it straight from the fruit.  

How to prepare the seed:

- Place seeds in a pot of water, water level about 1" above seeds.  Optional: add a 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Boil for 15 mins or 20 if you would like it softer
- Strain and let cool, until you can easily pull off the thin skin

You can also roast them or I've read that they can be sun-dried and saved for use later.

Sorry for the blurry pic!  The inside of the cooked seed.
These would be a great snack, I'm surprised no one has ever packaged it!  Hmmm, guess people are more interested in the fruit or it's just a special treat for those willing to buy a whole jackfruit!
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment