Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chinese New Year Cake :: Baked Nian Gao 年糕 (Mochi Cake) with Persimmon

Happy New Year!!

Today is Chinese New Year (or the first day of Spring Festival), year of the ram or sheep and I had planned to make something shaped like a sheep, but that plan needed more time than I had.  So, I decided to make baked nian gao (年糕), a cake that is quick and tasty.  Nian gao (年糕) is traditionally steamed and the main ingredient is glutinous rice flour but in the last number of years, a baked version has become popular.  The sticky cake is supposed to symbolize togetherness, "sticking" together.  The word "gao" in "nian gao" means cake but also sounds like the word "high" or "tall" () which makes it auspicious because it sounds like having a year that is "higher" or better than the last. So definitely a cake worth making at new years!

I have tried different recipes but the one over at the Craft Bandit is very good.  Unfortunately, I didn't have coconut milk on hand and didn't want to make a large batch, so I made some modifications.  As always, instead of just making one substitution I have a tendency to make multiple changes to a recipe which is not usually a good thing, but I figure I'll give it a go and if something great comes out, luck is on my side!

I used honey since I figure not using coconut milk would mean it would lose some flavour.  I also bought dried persimmons for new years and have wanted to use it in some sort of dessert.


These dried persimmons are actually stored in the freezer and have a nicer texture than some you find packaged in bags.  So, in they went as well.  But, other sweet fillings could be used like red bean paste.  I also wanted to make something with more of a crumble so I also changed the method a bit...and this is what came out!


Upclose - A more crumbly and lighter texture 
Not bad, not bad at all!  Doesn't feel as heavy or oily as other recipes and I think I can eat this whole thing myself!  However, you do lose some of the creaminess when it's more crumbly so depends on the preference and for me, the mood I'm in at the moment.  During these two weeks, I will probably make it again using the original method, with coconut milk and maybe also wild flower honey.  I would have liked the persimmon filling to be softer as prior to baking it was nice and gooey, but it's something to keep in mind for next time.


Ingredients
225 g glutinous rice flour (used Mochiko)
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup oil (e.g. canola)
1 cup homo milk

Optional
3 dried persimmons (1/3 - 1/2 cup dried persimmon flesh).  You may need more if your persimmons are not that plump.

Pan size used:  7" square pan.

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the glutinous rice flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
3. Beat the eggs, sugar and honey till light and airy.
4. Add the oil and continue beating.
5. Mix in the milk.
6. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat lightly.
7, Pour 1/2 to 2/3 of the batter into a 7" square pan if adding the dried persimmons (or other filling like red beans).  If you just like it plain, pour it all in.
8. Place in oven for 10 mins.
9. Remove from oven, drop small amounts of the persimmon flesh on top.  I used 2 forks to help.
10. Add the remaining batter to cover the persimmons. Spread batter with spatula to even out the top.  11.  Return to oven for 30-35 mins or until lightly browned.  (If not using a filling, Bake in oven for 35-40 mins.)


Note: This is also my dessert week 8...I didn't have time to post my dessert week 7 with new year's preparations but I will soon.

2 comments:

  1. I love your modifications! The dried persimmon gave it a nice chewy sweetness to the cake. Also, interesting info about the word "nian gao". My parents told me another story... that eating the cake helped you grow taller year after year, perhaps to encourage us to eat another helping? Not that I needed encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think growing taller year after year would be appropriate too since "gao" also means tall. Maybe it depends who you want to encourage to eat it :)

    ReplyDelete