Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Dessert Week 5 :: Failed Choux Pastry and Cocoa Pastry Cream


So, this time my choux pastry did not rise!!  I was so disappointed!

I might have allowed too much water to evaporate or maybe the temperature of the oven was too high? Most recipes have the temperature high first then it is lowered after they puff up but I also have a recipe that just says to bake at 350 degrees F all the way through which I'll try next.

Over-baked outer shell, inside was still moist though...

Still edible, I ate a few smeared with some pastry cream.  The pastry cream was okay but I realized after adding cocoa powder to a basic pastry cream recipe that many others actually add melted chocolate to make a chocolate pastry cream.  The consistency would likely be a little different but just adding cocoa powder seems to maintain the same consistency as regular pastry cream.  But, I'm still tweaking how much to add and I'll probably try the melted chocolate version too!


No comments:

Post a Comment