Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

Book Review::Save the Deli

Schwartz's in Montreal (2013).

Save the Deli
Author: David Sax

After reading The Tastemakers, I was interested to read Sax's first book Save the Deli.

Since eating sandwiches made from grocery store bought deli meats all throughout high school, I have not been a fan of deli meats...with one exception; smoked meat.  Schwartz's Deli in Montreal, a cult favourite, is where I had my first smoked meat sandwich and it was fantastic!  Like most people, I just enjoyed the taste and never knew the history.

So needless to say, there was tons of interesting tidbits of information I picked up as I read through the book.  Sax travels around the United States of America in search of great Jewish delis and asks the questions: What is happening to all the delis?  Why are they disappearing?  And what makes a deli survive?  Surprisingly, his visit to L.A. was very fruitful in answering the survival question.

Beside the States, he also goes abroad to Europe and of course being Canadian, has a section on Toronto and Montreal.

What I soaked up with great enthusiasm...

- I really enjoyed the passion he expressed for the food.
- History of the Jewish deli was enjoyable...as I've mentioned before, I'm not that enthusiastic when it comes to learning about the history of something, but the information summarized by Sax was not too heavy and interesting.
- What made one sandwich better than another is also discussed which sometimes can be difficult to explain but Sax does this well.
- Description of the foods served other than deli meats. E.g. He notes that in some delis, the traditional items like blintzes were outstanding. 
- The actual conversations he had with people he has met while researching the deli.  I really like the people aspect he brings into his writing.

What I could do without...

- Can't really say there was anything that felt too dragged out or didn't fit.

Overall, a great book for the foodie!

No comments:

Post a Comment