Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

Duo Patisserie & Cafe - Citrus Brioche


A while back I went to Duo Patisserie in Markham.  I don't get too many chances to go to patisseries on a weekday so when I had the chance, I went (cause I've heard weekends are quite busy!).  People have been raving about it and on a weekday it still had a steady stream of customers, dine-in and take out.

Duo Patisserie & Cafe
230 Commerce Valley Dr. E. Unit 4
Markham, ON L3T 7Y3
Tel: 905-763-2232

1st Impression:  Modern and Sleek
2nd Impression:  Light and tasty, the word "precision" comes to mind

In Markham and Richmond Hill, there aren't many options for really good french pastries.  Ruelo at Times Square was the one of the few French patisseries in the area so Duo is a welcome addition for those craving french pastries and viennoiseries like croissants. 

Citrus Brioche
Even though the desserts looked very well made and pretty, I opted for the citrus brioche as I was looking for something light and I love brioche bread.  Buttery goodness!  This one was very light, lighter than any I've had and had a crispy crust to it like a croissant.  The lightness made me feel like a light wool sweater was draped around me - warming and delicate.  But I think what surprisingly wowed me was the citrus glaze on top.  It had a very nice, light yet pronounced citrus flavour with just the right sweetness.  The glaze didn't look like much but it definitely made a difference.

I really must say that although I only had one item, I felt like the pastry chef's precision showed through. 


I ordered a chai latte to go with the brioche and it was not bad. I know I should have ordered some sort of coffee/espresso drink since they are supposed to specialize in coffee but at the last minute I stuck with something tea based.  It didn't really stand out, but it was creamy.  Maybe next time I'll try a latte.  I don't recall any iced drinks though. 

They don't have too large of a selection but it is a varied enough menu that people should find something they would like. Most desserts offerred are individual serving sizes, they currently don't have that many large cakes available.  Heard there was an oolong macaron which I'd love to try but they were sold out of this flavour that day. 

One of the larger sized cakes available, it's very pretty!

Atmosphere
Quiet and modern.  Along the opposite wall to the display area there are small tables.  Service was also very nice and curteous. 

In terms of cafe "feel", this is where I didn't get much of that feeling.  It doesn't feel like a place you linger at with your drink but it could just be me and my personal preference for cafe ambience.  A definite return date is in order though!

Display counter

A view into the kitchen

My little corner

No comments:

Post a Comment