Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

David's Tea Travel Mug Review


a. David's Tea Carry Travel Mug, b. Lid with dry tea storage, c. Mesh strainer (removable)
I was looking for a new tea travel thermos/mug and remembered I had a David'd Tea gift card from a couple years back that I still haven't used.  Some might say, what?!  Why haven't you used it?!  Although I'm a tea fanatic, I'm not a fan of David's Tea but I'm also not a hater.  Most of the teas are flavoured teas which are not my thing, but I can see the appeal and I'm sure every once and a while, they are great to have.  I prefer drinking tea brewed from just pure tea leaves (which David's does offer) or if flavoured, flavoured with fresh fruits/juices.

Anyway, back to the travel mug, so off I went to David's Tea to check out their teawares.

I didn't do much research but I've looked at them before and they seemed to meet my needs.  Keeps tea hot, fairly light, the mesh tea strainer can be removed, and leak proof.  SOLD.

After a couple weeks of use, I thought a quick review would be good.

Pros

- Keeps your tea hot! And for the 6 hours it states!
- Lightweight (compared to glass)
- Leak proof
- The plastic parts have not stained but I'll have to update in 3 months
- Handle at the top for ease of carrying

Cons

- You'll need 2 hands when you want to drink from the thermos, one to hold the lid and the other, the body.  Not a deal breaker by any means but you can't just flip it open with a finger and drink with the same hand.
- Maybe keeps things too hot that you can't drink the tea without burning your tongue, lol!
Not really a con since it's purpose IS to maintain the temperature of the liquid but a little bothersome when you want to drink and can't.  I'll usually leave the lid off for ten minutes to cool it down.  Other options include brewing the tea separately (but defeats the purpose of the attached basket) or drinking green tea which requires a much lower brewing temperature.

Additional notes:
- There is a space in the lid to store addition dry tea leaves but I don't think I'd use.  One, because after I brew tea, I take the basket out to prevent over brewing.  If I was going to brew again, I'd have to clean out the basket and reattach and would have to do again later for the second brew which would be a little more work than I'd like.  And, I tested carrying around dry tea leaves in the compartment and for half the day it was fine.  But, when I tried to screw on the lid after drinking some tea, I knocked the compartment open and out came the tea.
- The size may be a bit large for some people.  I carry a large tote so it's fine for me.

I'm pretty amazed at how well David's Tea is branded and how quickly it has expanded.  David's Tea started in Toronto in 2008 and if you check out their website, you'll see how far they've come from one store on Queen St. West.

Final Verdict:  Recommend


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this great review! I just purchased one and they must assume I'll know how to use it via telepathy because there were no instructions! Lol. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete