Pages

Monday, November 2, 2015

Green Grotto Tea Room - Now Serving Downtown


 
 A few months ago I heard that there was going to be a downtown location for Green Grotto.  If you've been reading my blog, you should know that I've been a fan of Green Grotto for years.  I've even been to their first location at Yonge and Finch many, many years ago! 

The Warden and Steeles location has been my favorite for a number of reasons but I was dismayed that the food menu and drink quality did go down the last time I was there.  So, I was hoping this location would redeem themselves.  They don't have as many food items as the Markham location and only had one special, the rice special for $9.99 on weekdays 2-5pm.

Minced pork on rice + appetizer/side dish + drink.  Nice deal, but not for big eaters.  The mince pork on rice was a very small bowl (and doesn't come with egg), I would hope not their full size when ordered a la carte!  It was smaller than the free popcorn bowl (another plus for this place)!



The pork was good, saucy but not too fatty.  I selected the fried oysters as my appetizer which was not bad, comes with seafood sauce as the dipping sauce.  I might come back for this special, but I'm not sure if I'd come for the food in general since downtown there are so many other options.

Now, food being average is kinda expected at bubble tea places so how does the tea fare?  Ordered a hot ginger black milk tea and it was perfect for a chilly fall day.  Lots of ginger flavour, maltiness from the black tea and the right amount of sugar (I did not have to ask for an adjustment in sugar). 


Magazine selection again is above all other tea houses, but is slightly smaller than the Warden location.  Cafe ambience is the same as other locations with "cafe music" playing in the background. Service was quick and polite (but this is at 2pm on a weekday).

Definitely a good spot for downtowners to relax with a bubble tea and snacks or dessert.

Green Grotto Tea Room (Downtown Yonge)
35 Saint Joseph St
Toronto, ON M4Y 1J8

No comments:

Post a Comment