Pages

Friday, July 10, 2015

Fuji Mountain Bakery - A milk tea bun!!

The Chinese name for the milk tea taste bun is "Pearl Milk Tea Bun" referring to Taiwanese bubble tea.
Fuji Mountain Bakery
350 Highway 7,Unit 110
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3N2
T: 905-882-8281

Just one taste and I knew I was hooked and would be back!

I‘m referring to their milk tea bun.  We were at My Wonderful Kitchen for an early dinner so upon leaving we decided to check out the bakery next door.  I'm so glad we did! 
 
Fuji has actually been around for a number of years, it was just never 'on the way' or convenient for me whenever I needed to pick up any type of Asian buns. They didn't have too much selection since it was at the end of the day, but there were some interesting items still available.  The milk tea bun caught my eye and I knew I had to try it.  (I've recently noticed a lot of milk tea cakes, breads, and other dessert creations poping up on the internet).
 

At home, L: Milk tea bun, R: Pumpkin bun
The filling definitely tastes like milk tea, very intense for the amount.  The tea flavour shines through and it‘s balanced by the right level of sweetness.  The milk tea taste is unlike a typical HK milk tea and is closer to a Taiwan style milk tea (as their Chinese name would imply), but it would be well received by lovers of both (unless you take your milk teas with very little sugar).  The bread part of the bun is something like a briocche dough but with much less butter it seems.  Quite airy and sweet but I would say a little on the dry side.  The dough was a little chewy (or some may say has a bit of a "qq" quality) to it's texture.  I liked the bread in general but I can see others preferring a softer or denser texture.

Next time I'm going to order a milk tea as well because if the milk tea filling is this good, the actual drink itself should be better! 
 

Milk tea bun (sorry for the poor lighting!)

I also tried the pumpkin bun and liked it too but I think the filling was a little too sweet for me.  It definitely had a strong pumpkin taste though which is great, but it's second to the milk tea bun.  The pumpkin seeds at the top were quite flavourful too, likely because they were in the oven and had been roasted a bit.

Pumpkin bun

Exterior
I definitely would like to try some of their other buns as it seems they do a number of Japanese inspired buns (I noticed wasabi on one).  Hmmm, I've been eating a lot of Japanese inspired foods lately or at least seeking them out...I went to Uncle Tetsu's Matcha Cafe a couple of days ago to try their matcha smoothie but unfortunately they weren't serving that item that day - fail!

Anyway, I think every so often I've got to make a special trip to Fuji Mountain Bakery...

No comments:

Post a Comment