Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Snack Foods: Hmmm, What's That? - Meiji Strawberry (Hershey-Kiss-Shaped) Chocolates


I've decided to start a new series on my blog called Snack Foods: Hmmm, What's That?

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been debating about whether to start this series.  As a kid, we always got Asian type snack foods as a treat.  Pocky, dried mango, and dried cuttlefish were the most frequent (yes, dried seafood was better than chips to me, lol!).  My sisters and I loved getting these treats, and they were treats to be shared so we always just got a bit.  Enough to enjoy but never enough to get bored of it and frequent enough that we didn't crave it and go overboard the next time.  But now, I don't eat too many snacks these days.  For whatever reason, snacks usually reach the expiry date before I get to them.  So, I didn't want to start something I wasn't going to update regularly. 

But sometimes, just sometimes, I'll see a package and want to try it.  I'm usually quite fascinated by products from Japan or Taiwan.  But, usually they're very expensive for the portion size (definitely good for portion control though!).  And usually I wonder what it'll taste like but often not buy.  In comes the Meiji brand with a strawberry chocolate snack that I found hard to resist (my eyes light up when I see strawberry chocolates, unless it's ultra sweet strawberry syrup filled chocolates which I don't particularly enjoy). So, to indulge my curiosity and inner child, I purchased this pretty little pink box, and so begins this series...

the back panel

Individually wrapped, cute packaging and there is a symbol for recycling (I think), but it's in Japanese.


Now for the most important part, how it tastes.  Yummy :)  The strawberry filling is like strawberry mousse but dehydrated (if you can imagine that), not sticky or chalky though.  The strawberry flavour is present and mild and seems natural which is nice.  Shaped like a Hershey Kiss, it's coated with a thin layer of chocolate and cocoa powder and the bottom is a chocolate cookie. 

It's not as sweet as North American chocolates/candies, so if you're expecting that, you'll be disappointed.  I'm not floored by this candy but it's still a cute treat, quite light, and definitely good if you like strawberry flavoured sweets.

Luckily in Toronto, there are a number of places to buy treats from Japan and Taiwan.  This box was purchased at T&T Supermarket for $5.49 (for a 49g box), it's a little steep, but I guess it's like getting a bubble tea, a sweet treat.  Well, there goes my bubble tea for the week!


Sometimes we are in need of a little treat and need to turn to something boxed, bagged, or wrapped.  
Snack Foods: Hmmm, What's That? will be my space for highlighting snack foods from Japan and Taiwan or snacks new on the Toronto marketplace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment