Pages

Friday, July 24, 2015

Maman Toronto - Cute French Styled Cafe and Lunch Spot in the Financial District


Maman (Toronto)
100 King St. W Toronto, ON M5X 1B1
First Canadian Place, Upper Level Food Terrace
647-879-3642
Open: 7am- 6pm
 
Yes, it‘s true...there's a cute French-styled cafe and bakery located in the financial district!  Originally from New York City, they serve light lunches, baked goods and a selection of espresso based drinks and teas, I predict it‘s going to get very popular.  Located on the new upper level food terrace at First Canadian Place, this place stands out among the usual vendors in terms of decor and food choices.  Decor alone is worth the visit!



Communal tables inside

Soon serving cocktails!
Now that they've got you in the door, their baked goods also are pretty decent.  Actually, their lavender loaf cake is really good! 

Food Menu (Unfortunately didn't get a shot of the drinks menu)
They have some croissants, tarts, and a few other sweet treats on offer as well, but their loaf cakes really stood out.  Two were on offer when I went, a pistachio and the lavender.  I'd usually opt for pistachio but thought I'd try something different.  The cake was very moist and was just the right amount of sweetness and my first impression was that it was pretty good but I luckily saved half for later (it's quite filling) and when I ate the second half, I realized it was more than pretty good, it was really good!  Why, you ask?
 
Pistachio cake

Because, as always, I'm a sucker for matcha-anything and they had an iced matcha tea on their beverage menu so although I was going to get a basic tea (they carry Sloane Teas), I changed my mind at the last minute and got the iced matcha.  The matcha was okay but I think the matcha flavour overpowered the lavender. When I had the cake later, the lavender flavour was more apparent and it wasn't excessive.  The cake was also still quite moist hours later. 


The iced matcha as I mentioned was okay, but I'm not sure if I would get again.  Their lemon thyme madeleine was quite good as well and would be a nice mini treat if you weren't looking for something too heavy.
Iced Matcha Tea
The only thing that I would recommend is the drinks menu should be visible from the front door as well.  The menu is actually at the front of the line so as you're moving through the line and picking up your food items, you can't see the drinks menu until you get to the front where payment happens.  So then, you end up holding up the line if you haven't quite decided on what you'd like.  They have two staff up front so that helps, it just a small thing but it'd be nice to see what is available for beverages earlier.
 
I think the next time I'll try their salads and quiches; that would really tell you if it'll survive as a lunch spot.  Overall, a great place and there is nice seating outside as well!
 
Outdoor patio

Click to add a blog post for Maman on Zomato
 

No comments:

Post a Comment