Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

October: I'm Dreaming Of...



October

In Canada, Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October. 

One of the books I've finished reading, Picnic in Provence, ends with Thanksgiving (review to come soon).  Another one I finished, The Fortune Cookie Chronicles, also mentions Thanksgiving...interestingly enough, it's mentioned because it's supposed to be the busiest day for Chinese Weddings in America  (everyone is eating Turkey at home) - go figure!

So it's got me thinking about Thanksgiving. I'm very thankful to have my family in my life and it's during the holidays where I think about it the most.  My family gathers for Thanksgiving to have the usual: turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn...it's all good home cooking.  Usually I don't have to do any cooking, but this year, my mom is not in the mood to cook so the rest of my sibblings are going to be preparing the meal. But, everytime I cook for my extended family, it's not very good...I think I tackle things that are just too involved or require practice which I often don't do much of before the day I decide to make it.  So me being me, I'm thinking of making a Corn Souffle...a recipe from Picnic in Provence...that sounded so good in the book but have yet to try! (Maybe I should do a test run?)

So what am I dreaming of for October, I'm dreaming of...

...A successful corn souffle (of course!) 

And a couple of other things that have nothing to do with Thanksgiving
 
...(the patience) to start baking with my toddler...the above pear cake was one such effort.  It was a bit of a trying experience for me because she really wanted to do her own thing and on several occasions was on the verge of scooping the flour out onto the table and floor. So in the end, after the cake went into the oven, she played with the used bowls, spoons, spatula, and the bit of batter she scooped out of the cake pan while I did the dishes.   I think she enjoyed it.

...Something chocolate (mainly eating it)...I've been on DavidHChow's Instagram...enough said!

 

5 comments:

  1. those d.h.c. chocolates are seriously good lookin'.

    i know what you mean about patience. i was letting my toddler spread pizza sauce on rolled dough last weekend and she kept using the spatula to dig right through the dough. makes me cringe thinking of it. many french kids learn to bake by making yogurt cake... i havent tried it yet but it sounds quite simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they have thoughts of their own, good thing no splatters though...and, yes! yogurt cake...my next recipe to try!

      and some of the chocolates look too good to eat

      Delete
  2. OMG! I posted a comment three times and it never posted... The pear cake looks really yum. I love pear anything. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and hope to see you next time I'm visiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, will need to meet up the next time you're in town!
      It was good and should have added more pear but but didn't have enough cause we ended up eating them :( If you like pear and sesame, check out this recipe from Humble Bean: http://www.humblebeanblog.com/2015/09/black-sesame-pear-tea-cake/

      Planning to tackle this soon.

      Delete
    2. Ooh I love both pear and sesame. I'll check out that recipe and let you know if I make it. :)

      Delete