Pages

Friday, October 16, 2015

Snacks: Hmmm, What's That?! - Satsumaimo Caramels


So, I've been snacking on little treats lately but haven't had time to post.  Most have been just okay.  But, on a recent visit to T&T, I noticed a cute little box.  Well, actually, it kinda looks a bit retro, not necessarily "cute" so I had to pick it up.  It turned out to be sweet potato caramels and although I don't particularly eat caramels, the sweet potato in it was interesting enough to make me want to try it. 

Taste - mild sweet potato taste and yes, it is like caramel but less sweet.
Texture - soft, chewy, but a little less chewy and sticky that regular caramels.  Consistency is not as thick as your typical caramel which I quite liked.

The little squares are actually wrapped in paper candy.  Yes, if you are familiar with Asian treats, some of the more stickier candies are wrapped in paper that is edible.  On the packaging they refer to it as "a thin edible layer of starch".  I always thought this was neat :)  Reminds me of a blog post I read on this paper factory in Taiwan where part of the factory makes edible paper.

I'd definitely buy again as it's a nice little treat. Too bad I don't have a use for the box though!

Oh, and just to add to the sweet potato theme, I came across really nice pictures of soft serve ice cream and ice cream served in a sweet potato skin that I'd love to try (at SobokSobok Korean Dessert Cafe)!  Unfortunately it's in Seoul, Korea!

No comments:

Post a Comment