Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Week 36 Baking: Fresh Ginger Molasses Cookies

First batch...too sugary, oily and soft.

Other people look for the best chocolate chip cookie, me...I'm looking for the best ginger molasses cookies.  Not that I don't like chocolate chip cookies (there are still recipes I have to try), but for some reason my cravings have shifted.

I think it all started at Dineen Coffee Company (which I've been meaning to post about them).  I saw their ginger molasses cookies and was tempted, but bought a lemon square instead.  Then at Neo Coffee Bar, I saw a ginger molasses cookie but opted for their roll cakes (so yummy).  Then I tried to make them and the recipe failed...or I failed...as you can see above.

Tried to satisfy my craving at Fahrenheit Coffee but they ran out...So, I ended up at Second Cup and finally, I had a ginger molasses cookie! Do people remember Second Cup?  Unfortunately, I think this Canadian coffee house has really become more of a second thought to most people I know.  I hate to say it but I'll go to Second Cup only when it‘s convenient and not really as a destination. (If anyone has a differing opinion I'd love to here it.)  Their website looks more modern now compared to a couple of years ago and I noticed that they mention that their baked goods are made locally (at Grodzinski's Bakery) to entice people however, I wonder if that has made any difference?



Anyway, the cookie was not bad, slightly chewy and the flavour was okay.  But, I think I was looking for an even more gingery cookie.  Ginger snaps are gingery but they don't have the chewiness that I'm looking for so onto my second batch of cookies...

Second batch (different recipe): much better than the first.
I followed this recipe from the Crosby Molasses website for my second batch of cookies but made some modifications: used fresh grated ginger and reduced the batch to only make 6 cookies.  These were chewy and had more ginger flavour than the first batch.  Still not perfect, requiring a little more tweaking and I think I would also need to try a larger batch.  But, great with my tea, I've been eating one each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment