Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Making Elderberry Syrup



My little one was sick and then me, so blogging has not been a priority.  Starting to feel better and I realized I haven't posted on the elderberry syrup I made.  After my visit to Petit Nuage and then subsequent stop at North York Centre's farmer's market (open on Thursdays), I picked up a pint of elderberries.  They look so beautiful :)

I decided to make an elderberry syrup with them following David Lebovitz's recipe which was pretty simple.  The time consuming part as mentioned is de-stemming the little berries, which a pint took me about 20 minutes.  Since I only had a pint (250 g after de-stemming), I reduced the recipe to a quarter of the amounts.  Came out pretty good, but I think next time I'm going to try less sugar; would have liked it slightly more tart.


I've added to plain yogurt, made elderberry yogurt popsicles, and also tried it mixed with club soda and a squirt of lime.  

Side note: according to folk medicine, elderberries are supposed to have some effect on treating the flu...too bad I didn't load up on this before we got sick!  But, I'd be interesting in reading more studies on this.  


No comments:

Post a Comment