Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Infuse Cafe - A Brewing Revolution?




Hmmm, reverse atmospheric infusion?  Vacuums?  I really need to brush up on my sciences!  Infuse Cafe has been open for about 8 weeks and they are trying to get the word out that their tea brewing technique (R.A.I.N.) produces a more flavourful tea. 
 
I had walked by before but only when my friend sent me an event by Toronto Commons did I decide to make an effort to visit this cafe. (Here is the next event in Oct.) Infuse serves organic teas (specifically Rishi teas) and a few coffee beverages.  They are not in the business of adding ingredients such as tapioca to their drinks so don't mistake this for a bubbletea place.  Hot, cold, and milk teas are available as well as some shakes like the matcha one that I was really tempted to get.  But, selection is limited.
 
First impression is that it was pretty good.  I ordered an iced Jasmine Green Tea with half sugar.  They suggested full as it could be bitter due to the strength of the tea but I usually drink my teas straight (at home) or with half sugar (when I'm out), so insisted on the half.  It wasn't bitter and half worked for me.  Liked that they are willing to make recommendations though. 

My second visit I got a hot tea, the Jade Cloud.  The aroma is like dragonwell tea but the flavour is not as "grassy".  It's quite flavourful though.  There was a small amount of bitterness to it but not a bad type of bitter.  Overall, okay, but I liked the Jasmine Green better.



The Bkon Brewing Machine that is used, brews tea and also works for coffee.  I'm not sure if the taste is that much better with this brewing technique, but I'd be interested in seeing a side by side comparison of regular brewing and brewing by R.A.I.N. However, if it tastes good, does it matter? Maybe the question I'd like to ask is, do you get more antioxidants out of the leaf? Since they mention the "deeper layer of soluble material is extracted" in phase 2 of the technique, they are referring to the flavour but does this mean antioxidants too? That would be really something!  Or actually, as my mind starts going off on a tangent...if the tea is more flavourful, offering single estate ceylon teas (from differing tea gardens) for example could be interesting.   Maybe you can really taste the nuances of each? Anyway, tea geek, I know. 
 
In terms of atmosphere, there is a good amount of seating, but it doesn't have that cafe feel yet.  This might change over time.  I did notice some artwork on the walk and if you go to their website, they do mention that they are trying to work with local artists and kinda act like a "gallery" where you can purchase the pieces and proceeds go all to the artist.  This concept is not new, but I find it great that they do this!  It'll be nice to see it more apparent when you're in the shop.

Service is super nice and they really seem customer service oriented.  They offer a discount for students and if you work in the area, which is nice. Not sure if that‘s just an opening special but their prices are average compared to other tea shops.  And, they are on vicinity rewards which also is a plus!  Would recommend trying them out if you're in the area.
 
 
Infuse Cafe
354 Yonge Street (Yonge & Elm)
Toronto, ON, M5B 1S5
(Soon to open at Yonge and Shepherd) 
Infuse Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment