Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

Week 34 Baking: Kinako Mille Crepe - Work in Progress




Happy Friday!

I've been humming and haaaing about posting this but I figured I should keep up with documenting each week of dessert making/baking sucesses and fails and any works in progress.  So, here you go, a kinako filled mille crepe cake. (Yes, more roasted soybean...when I get excited about a flavour I seem to want to eat a lot of it!)  This dessert was inspired by the Shingen roll cake at Neo Coffee Bar, which is filled with roasted soybean whipped cream.

I should also add that I've actually never eaten a mille crepe cake before, even with all the hype about Millie Creperie in Kensington, the Matcha Mille Crepe made by Christopher Siu of Master Chef Canada fame or any of the other mille crepe cakes in the city.  I do plan to try out Millie Creperie (or their sister shop Millie Patisserie which has tarts that I'm very interested in), but I was just a bit too eager to make kinako whipped cream that a mille crepe cake was the next thing that popped into my head. 

Oh, and just a little side reading for those that are interested in the dessert scene in Toronto, a good piece from Renee S. Suen in the Globe and Mail.



Needless to say, as you can see from the picture that it wasn't as light as it should be.  My crepes are quite thick and I will definitely need more practice making them! (I need to find that little stick that smooths out the batter.)  The photo was also taken soon after making, but when I let it sit for a couple of hours in the fridge to set, the layers were much more melded together. You'll also noticed I only made half a cake. Since I was testing, I didn't want to spend too much time on this.  So, I made 5 crepes, layered them, cut it in half and topped one side onto the other.  Voila!  Half a mille crepe cake, hahaha!

Alone, the kinako whipping cream tastes great. Layering it between the crepes I found decreased the amount of flavour so I'm going to need to add more kinako next time or test if it's because of the thickness of the crepes.

I do like the taste of the kinako whipped cream and think it can be used for other things, so here is a recipe:

Ingredients
1 cup of whipping cream
35g of granulated sugar
12g of kinako flour

Instructions
Start whipping the cream and gradually add the sugar.
When thickened, sift half the kinako flour into the cream, whip lightly until incorporated. 
Add the remaining kinako flour and whip again till incorporated.

(This was just enough to layer 5 crepes.)


Brand of roasted soy flour I used, purchased at PAT supermarket.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment