Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Week 32 Baking: Kamut Pound Cake


A little late but anyhoo...made this Kamut pound cake because I had purchased some Kamut flour from Bulk Barn a while ago and it's just been sitting around.  I like to try out recipes that include healthier ingredients so eating cake daily (or for breakfast) isn't too bad of a thing (haha!).  Not sure if I like Kamut in cake though, there was still a bit of graininess to it; would be better in breads and cookies I think.  The recipe did suggest peaches and whipped cream to go with it and I think that would have been a good combination.

Kamut (which is actually a trademarked name) is a brand of khorasan wheat, an ancient wheat varietal that is quite nutritious with higher protein and higher amounts of minerals such as selenium, magnesium, and zinc than modern wheat flour. 

Update: I've read here and of course on Wikipedia that the term Kamut was used in ancient Egyptian to mean wheat.  But, it was later trademarked (apparently to preserve the integrity of the grain) because it belonged to a dead language.


No comments:

Post a Comment